3/03/2012

Stuffed Cabbage

                                                                Stuffed Cabbage

Tonight's dinner is stuffed cabbage! As a special bonus tonight's dinner also come's with a funny story...First, I must warn you I'm not perfect. I know, shocking but this story will prove my point...While this was in the oven I was talking to my mom about how hard the cabbage leaves were to get off and how messy my cabbage rolls turned out because of this. She says "You boiled the cabbage right?" Um no? I have been making this meal for about 8 years and I have never even heard of that! Maybe I should read recipes more often...I've always like the cabbage to be a little crunchy not soggy so I'm not sure I would like it as much boiled. So after dinner I looked on line at some other stuffed cabbage recipes and some of them said to boil the head of cabbage and others said you can freeze it over night and then thaw it out and the leaves will come right off. I think next time I make this I will try the freezing meathod and see how that works out. Anyways, here is the recipe for the rest of it just don't use the raw cabbage like I did;)

Stuffed Cabbage        (Serves 5-6)
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
4 cups of cooked brown rice
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 head of cabbage(apparently it should be either boiled or frozen then thawed)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet brown ground beef/turkey along with the onion and a little cooking spray. When meat is cooked all the way through add the garlic and cook for one more minute. Then, add the rice and seasonings and mix it all together. Remove cabbage leaves from head of cabbage and fill each one with some of the filling mixture. Roll the leaves up and place them seem side down in a baking dish. Continue until you run out of filling. Then, pour the spaghetti sauce over the top of all of them and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.

I used to always make this with ground beef but I have been trying to only use ground beef once a week to be healthier. I was going to make it with ground turkey today but the commissary was out so I ended up using turkey breakfast type sausage. I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it was really good! This is also the exact same filling I use for stuffed peppers, if you don't like cabbage. Dinner's ready!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen