3/06/2012

Hamburger Pie

                                                                   Hamburger Pie

Tonight's dinner is hamburger pie. Where to begin? Hamburger pie is something my mom has always made and most people call it sheppard's pie, but not us! The way my mom usually makes it is a pound of ground beef topped with mashed potatos and corn and chedder cheese. Over the years I started adding mushrooms and onions to mine. Tonight I made it a little different trying to lighten up. I thought about making it without any meat at all, but I couldn't bring myself to make hamburger pie with out the hamburger, it seemed wrong. My other idea was to make cauliflower mashed potatos instead of regular but the commissary was out of cauliflower so I think I might try that next time...I'm going to start with my mashed potato recipe, I would hope everyone kows how to make mashed potatos, but I know alot of people make them out of a box, we don't believe in those around here! I'm even going to include my mom's secret ingredient, I hope she doesn't kill me;) The hamburger pie recipe that I'm going to put on here is for the lightened up way that I made it tonight.

Real Mashed Potatos (serves 4)
2 large potatos or 3-4 small red potatos
3 tablespoons light butter
about 1/4 cup lowfat milk
1 teasoopn low fat mayonaise
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to boil on the stove. Wash and dice the potatos and put them in the pot of water. Boil for about 2-30 minutes untill potatos are tender, drain. Put the potatos back into the pot and mash using a potato masher, mix in all other ingrediants untill well combined.

Lightened up Hamburger Pie    (serves 4)
1/2 pound of lean ground beef, browned
1 cup onions, chopped
2 cups white mushrooms, chopped or sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
mashed potatos from above recipe
1 cup fat free shredded chedder cheese
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute mushrooms and onions on medium high heat with a little bit of cooking spray. When they are done add the cooked meat and seasonings. After you have made the mashed potato stir in the frozen corn. In a baking dish layer the ingredients starting with the meat mixture. Cover that with the mashed potato mixture spread evenly. Top it with the cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

I used to make mashed potatoes with real butter, and lots of it! Now I use light butter and about half as much and it's almost as good. I never peel potatos when making mashed potatos, basically because I'm lazy and don't like peeling potatoes...I like them with the peeling and it saves me a step, but feel free to peel them if you're into that kind of thing;) I only used 1/2 a pound of meat to cut some calories, also since this only makes 4 servings using the full pound would be to much meat per serving...Plus now I have a 1/2 pound of cooked ground beef in the fridge, may come in handy making the kids lunches and stuff:) Hope you enjoy this healthy versions of one of our family's favorites. Dinner's ready!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen